Greater Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs has festivities taking place all through the year including concerts, festivals, fairs and sporting events.
The list below presents an overview of the major events in the Palm Springs area.
- Annual Desert Plein Air / La Quinta Arts Foundation
- This annual art exhibit showcases paintings by Plein Air painters, painters that paint outdoors in the open air. Usually the third week in January. Call 760-564-1244 for more information.
- International Film Festival
- View hundreds of new films from around the world at certain theaters in Palm Springs. This is one of the country’s largest film festivals. Don't be surprised if you see notable attendees from the Los Angeles area. Usually in mid January. Call 760-322-2930 for more information.
- Palm Springs Art Festival
- In mid to late January, view the works, and meet hundreds of the finest traditional and contemporary artists from throughout the West and Southwest. A wide variety of both fine art and quality craft will be exhibited. Held at Palm Springs Market Place, Festival Grounds, Crossley Street at Ramon Road. Call (866) 611-8617 for more information.
- Bob Hope Chrysler Classic
- This famous golf tournament is hosted by several area golf courses, with proceeds to benefit charities. Usually the third week in January. Call (760) 346-8184 for more information.
- Verizon Tour de Palm Springs Bike Event
- Participants enjoy a bicycle race through Palm Springs and on several different courses of various lengths all for a good cause. A portion of the entry fees and the pledges collected by the riders benefit local charities. In early February. Call (760) 568-2800 for more information.
- National Date Festival and County Fair
- The Riverside County Fairgrounds in Indio hosts an annual celebration of the area’s Arabian heritage with a date festival, camel racing, a carnival midway and expositions of local livestock and desert produce. In mid-February. Call (800) 811-FAIR for more information.
- Frank Sinatra Celebrity Golf Tournament
- The Renaissance Esmeralda Resort in Indian Wells hosts this famous tournament to benefit the Barbara Sinatra Children’s Center. In mid-February.Call (760) 674-8447 for more information.
- Palm Springs Indian Market
- In mid to late February, Native American artists and jewelers selected by the juries of the Autry Museum Indian Market, Heard Museum and The Gathering shows display their works at the Palm Springs Market Place, Festival Grounds, Crossley Street at Ramon Road. Call (866) 611-8617 for more information.
- Palm Desert Greek Fest
- At the end of February, beginning of March, enjoy the sounds and tastes of Greece. Incredible, fresh, handmade Greek foods, delectable honey drenched pastries and that world famous Baklava. Lamb, gyros, Greek salads, specialty Greek wines and beers, Greek coffee and much more. Live Greek music and dancing, vendors from around the globe, kids' area, Greek groceries and religious items. 74-109 Larrea Street at Lantana Street, Palm Desert. Call (760) 568-9901 for more information.
- K-Swiss Desert Smash
- Early in March, the world's best tennis players and golfers compete in a two-day fundraiser to benefit local charities. Call (760) 773-9800 for more information.
- La Quinta Arts Festival
- Sculpture, painting, photography, drawing, fine craft and printmaking submitted by artists from all over the world will be on display at this juried outdoor event, accompanied by live entertainment, food, wine and children’s activities. Held in mid-March. Call (760) 564-1244 for more information.
- Swing'n Dixie Jazz Festival
- The finest Dixieland, Swing Jazz and traditional bands in the country gather at Sunrise Park in Palm Springs in mid-March for a weekend of live music, food and family fun. Call (760) 333-7932 for more information.
- Native American Film and Art Festival
- View twelve feature and short films produced by Native Americans at The Camelot Theatres. The festival also includes panel discussions, an art exhibit and a closing party. Sponsored by the Agua Caliente Cultural Museum in mid-March. Call (760) 325-6565 for more information.
- Dinah Shore Weekend
- Coincident with the Nabisco Women’s Golf Championship in Rancho Mirage gay women gather in Palm Springs for a four-day weekend party all over town, organized by San Francisco’s ClubSkirts and Cherry Bar Lounge. held in late March. Call (415) 974-5906 for more information.
- Indian Wells Arts Festival
- This three day event, held at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, plays host to over 200 artists from around the country. The festival features something for everyone with live on-site demonstrations, a Gourmet Marketplace, children's activities, live music and a special Sunday Eggs + Champagne in the Garden brunch menu available until noon each day. Admission is $12 for adults and children are free. Call 760-346-0042 for more information.
- International Art Fair
- The Palm Springs Convention Center hosts an annual fair for artists and galleries, held at the same time as a trade-only exhibition of interior design products by DÉCOR Expo California. Held the first weekend in April. Call (800) 333-7535 for more information.
- Swing’n Dixie Jazz Festival
- The Riviera Hotel is the center for the best live music around, as jazz musicians from all over the country come to perform, sponsored by the Dixieland Jazz Society of the Desert. Held the first week in April. Call (760) 333-7932 for more information.
- White Party
- The Jeffrey Sanker organization presents this famous annual dance, disco and pool party, throughout the greater Palm Springs area at a number of different venues, with the central party and program at the Palm Springs Convention Center. Easter weekend. Call (800) 333-7535 for more information.
- Art Workshops
- May is the last month of the season to attend weekly workshops sponsored by the Palm Springs Desert Museum and held at Artists Council Center next door to the Annenberg Theatre. Call (760) 325-7186 for more information.
- Smooth Jazz Festival
- Jazz musicians from all over the country participate in this annual fundraiser held at the O’Donnell Golf Club in downtown Palm Springs, to benefit Hanson House and the Desert Healthcare Foundation. Usually held mid-May. Call (760) 323-6316 for more information.
- Jam Sessions at Melvyn’s
- Sample Sunday afternoon sessions with local amateur musicians at Melvyn’s restaurant throughout the month. Call (760) 325-0046 for more information.
- Film Noir Festival
- Classic black and white film noir will be screened at the Camelot Theatres the first weekend in June. Call (760) 325-6565 for more information.
- A Weekend with the King
- On Father’s Day weekend, the Wyndham Palm Springs hotel is the center of festivities, including a gathering of Elvis’ closest friends who will reminisce about the King. Call (760) 778-8418 for more information.
- Desert Film Society
- A new film is screened the first Saturday each month at the Camelot Theatres in Palm Springs, followed by a discussion. Call (760) 772-3666 for more information.
- Enjoy arts, crafts, food, live music, children’s activities and a farmers’ market, along North Palm Canyon Drive from Biristo Road to Amado Road on Thursday evenings. Call (800) 927-7256 for more information.
- Street Fair
- On weekend mornings, the city of Palm Desert hosts arts, crafts, food and live entertainment in the downtown area. Call (760) 773-2567 for more information.
- First Fridays
- The shops in Palm Springs’ Uptown Heritage Galleries and Antique District hold an open-house until 9 PM, the first Friday, along North Palm Canyon Drive between Amado Road and Tachevah Drive. Call (561) 495-0233 for more information.
- Guided Tours of the Palm Springs Desert Museum
- Afternoon guided tours, different for children and adults, are given of the permanent collections and changing exhibitions on the weekends. Call (760) 325-7186 for more information.
- Jazz in the Pines
- Take a side trip to the mountainous forests of Idyllwild, a short drive west of Palm Springs, for this outdoor jazz concert, held in a grassy amphitheatre. Sponsored by the Idyllwild Arts Academy, a boarding arts high school, at the end of August. Call (909) 659-2171 for more information.
- Mall Walks
- The perfect September weather might make for the best time of year to join one of the daily 7 AM walks at the Palm Springs Mall, sponsored by “Walk for Life.” Call (760) 327-1319 for more information.
- International Festival of Short Films
- Hundreds of short films are screened at the Camelot Theatres in this largest festival of its kind in North America, which usually draws notable visitors from the Hollywood industry. Usually held in mid-September. Call (760) 322-2930 for more information.
- International Hispanic Film Festival of Greater Palm Springs
- The Camelot Theatres host screenings of Hispanic-themed and produced films in mid-October. Call (760) 325-6565 for more information.
- Annual Dinner in the Canyons
- Make a reservation to attend this $200 / plate social event of the season at the Andreas Canyon, which includes a three-course gourmet dinner, Native American dancing and music and a silent auction to benefit the Agua Caliente Cultural Museum. Usually held in mid-October. Call (760) 778-1070 for more information.
- American Heat – Palm Springs Motorcycle and Hot Rod Weekend
- Major streets are closed for this annual congregation of bikers over a weekend of festivities in mid-October. Call (800) 200-4557 for more information.
- Rancho Mirage Restaurant Roundup
- Sample the best of Rancho Mirage cuisine in early November outdoors at the Agua Caliente Casino where top local chefs will be on hand to prepare their finest creations. For more information, call (888) 999-1995.
- Art Affaire
- Local and regional artists display their work at Whitewater Park in Rancho Mirage accompanied by popular jazz musicians. Held in early November. For more information, call (760) 324-4511 or (760) 568-9351.
- Arts and Crafts Fair
- In mid November, Mission Lakes Country Club hosts an exhibition by local artists where guests can shop for special holiday gifts and talk with the artists. 8484 Clubhouse Boulevard, Desert Hot Springs. For more information, call (760) 324-4511 or (760) 568-9351.
- Palm Springs Pride
- The Palm Springs Stadium hosts the Palm Springs Pride organization and friends as they prepare for the coming visitor season in early November. Festival and parade in Palm Springs and the greater Coachella Valley area. Call (760) 416-8711 for more information.
- Golf Cart Parade
- Decorated golf carts, marching bands and costumed characters parade along El Paseo in Palm Desert at this family event in early November. Call (760) 346-6111 for more information.
- International Tamale Festival
- See and sample all kinds of tamales in Indio’s Old Town, and enjoy live entertainment featuring a parade, mariachis, a carnival and fireworks at this all-day festival. Usually held in early December. Call (760) 342-6532 for more information.
- Holiday Concert
- The City of Palm Springs sponsors a performance by the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Band at the Palm Springs Convention Center. Usually held in early December. Call (760) 323-8272 for more information.
- Desert Big Band and Jazz Party
- The Palm Springs Riviera Resort and Racquet Club hosts many popular jazz musicians around the pool area and in the restaurants, where you can listen to your favorites in a close up intimate setting. Tickets are $100. per day. Usually held the end of December. Call (760) 342-6532 for more information.